[mythtv-users] Gentoo update and now no TED talks SOLVED

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Sun Jun 23 03:47:45 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Not sure I understand that gentoo business, why would you need to have
> separate patches for standard fixes/0.26 commits...
>
> Thanks
> JY

Through the epatch-user function, Gentoo allows you to apply package-
and/or version- specific patches without having to modify the standard
ebuild script for the package. In the default configuration, the
epatch-user picks up files with the extension .patch in
/etc/portage/patches/<category>/<package name> and applies them in
alphabetical order. The standard patchset the OP was talking about is just
the way that Gentoo has chosen to package the -fixes patchset. I think they
use git-format-patch against the base release version to create a series of
patches (one per commit) for the relevant -fixes branch. That saves
bandwidth so users don't need to re-download the entire source tarball for
a new -fixes version, only the updated patches archive.

Sorry if my reply was a bit long-winded, but I only recently learned about
the epatch-user function myself, and I expect other Gentoo users might find
it useful. That's one reason why I like Gentoo--it's super easy to apply
patches to test or fix something.

Sincerely,

Karl