[mythtv-users] Everyone is short and fat - unwanted letterboxing during SD playback

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 19 16:17:27 UTC 2013

On 01/17/2013 11:58 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:

>> Paul, I'll need something that shows X configuration (not specified
>> configuration, but actual running configuration).  The X log would
>> probably work, though it's much more challenging to read/figure out.
>
> Here's my X log. I also tried using a copy of xdpyinfo from another
> computer, but it failed because of not being able to find
> libXxf86dga.so.1. My frontend has libXxf86vm.so.1, but not that file.
> If I could get a copy of xdpyinfo from someone with a more similar
> set up, I bet it would work.

Paul,

Are you using a Xinerama-style setup (or TwinView or whatever) with
multiple displays attached?  It seems X has configured both your
internal notebook display and an external display.

I'm pretty sure that you just need to set the:

Display on screen
Run on the specified screen or spanning all screens.

and

Monitor aspect ratio
The aspect ratio of a Xinerama display cannot be queried from the
display, so it must be specified.

settings in frontend settings under Appearance.

Note that I just recently changed the default for the Xinerama monitor
aspect ratio to 16:9 (in unstable/development, so it will be in 0.27 -
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/544560#544560 ),
but if you're using any kind of Xinerama-type setup (if you have
multiple monitors connected), you should /really/ specify it directly
rather than rely on defaults.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you--been really busy with life
and just starting to get caught back up with MythTV (only 600 MythTV
messages to go through, plus 3000 MythTV ticket messages, plus 1000
commit messages).  (Wow, almost 6 months later with the reply--and this
is one of the more recent ones to catch up on...)

Mike