[mythtv-users] Hello after long absence - looking to build very small Myth setup.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 18 19:52:56 UTC 2013

On 06/18/2013 03:06 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> That said, I'm not knocking Myth at all, as I suspect you can tell.

Right, and it didn't seem like you were.  Likewise, I'm not trying to
chase people away from MythTV, but I'd much rather someone choose
another approach than go down the MythTV path and regret it.

> It's just not the right solution for our needs at this time. I.e. - we
> only get about 10 OTA stations of any interest, and really it's just
> CBS that we'd like to record as they aren't supported yet by services
> like Hulu. (ABC, Fox&  NBC are well supported) None of that addresses
> cable shows like Mad Men or Breaking Bad which we'll just wait and
> watch a year late, or possibly like Season 3 of the Killing, we'll
> purchase the season in HD from Amazon with the unspent $125/month we
> were previously giving to DirecTV.
>
> It's a Brave, New World in terms of TV watching.

Definitely.  I've been a happy OTA-only TV viewer since 2006, and it's a
/lot/ cheaper to buy the cable-only TV shows I want to watch on DVD or
Amazon than to pay for that cable subscription.

>   The only thing I find
> I really miss not having cable or satellite is my afternoon news fix
> on MSNBC. Now I find myself watching RT in really low def on the Roku.
> Would love to find a 24 hour streaming news station.
>
> Also, thanks to you for all the help you give people here. You've been
> here for years and helped me numerous times in days past. It's great
> to see you're still out there doing the work!

Yeah, back when you were more active, I was too.  Lately there has been
a whole new crop of people who spend a ton of time helping others on the
list.

Mike