[mythtv-users] Hello after long absence - looking to build very small Myth setup.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 18 18:36:22 UTC 2013

On 06/18/2013 12:25 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Thanks to those who answered. After looking at the considerable work
> to be done, the cost (antennas, frontend/backend, HDHomeruns, etc.)
> and limitations of what my finished result is likely to be based on
> OTA HDTV, I've decided not to set up a Myth box at this time.
>
> Again, thanks for the responses and I wish everyone well.
> Unsubscribing after this email.

FWIW, I'm very glad you did the research and came to that conclusion.
Far too many people think that MythTV is a "free" DVR, but it's actually
a high-end, luxury DVR and generally turns out to be more expensive (not
only in terms of money, but also time /and/ options (due to service
provider DRM, etc)) than other solutions out there.  And, since many
cable and satellite providers now offer 4-6 tuner DVRs with "whole
house"/"any screen" capabilities, many of the most-interesting benefits
of MythTV are finally available elsewhere.

I'd much rather see someone look into MythTV and decide to take another
approach than see someone who starts setting up MythTV and either spends
a lot of time and money before realizing just what MythTV will cost and
walking away angry or ends up spending a lot more time and money than
he'd planned and feeling like it's not worth the cost.  I've even seen
people who tried to turn MythTV into a cheap DVR who end up getting what
they pay for, and thinking MythTV is incapable (when, really, it's their
choice of hardware that's causing the problem).

That said, if what you want is a Free DVR (as in Free/Libre and
Open-Source Software), and you're willing to pay for it with your time
and money, MythTV is a great solution (or at least a great hobby).

Mike