[mythtv-users] backend always hangs on specific recording

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jun 18 14:31:41 UTC 2013

On 06/12/2013 12:06 AM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> Tuesday afternoon at 1:30pm, mythtv is set to record 2 shows, and every
> week when I come home Tuseday evening, I find that the backend is stuck:
> the backend can't connect to it, and later scheduled recordings didn't
> happen.
> After killing and restarting the backend so that the frontend can
> connect to it again and get the list of recordings, I see one recording
> shows up with the "missing file" X next to it, while the other shows up
> as a 0 sized recording. If I try to play the 0-sized one, the backend
> seems to hang again.
> I can manually tune to the channels in question just fine, and I've
> recorded two things simultaneously from those two channels too. There's
> nothing in the log that indicates any kind of failure. Any idea why
> those same scheduled recording would always cause the backend to hang?

Questions:

1. Are the two channels which (appear to) cause this on the same type of

tuner? Is it possible that the tuners use the same firmware/drivers and
that two calls
at once is confusing the system.?

2.  Is is possible that these tuners take a long time to 'settle' when
tuned?

Try changing the Tuning Timeout or Delay Lock setting.

3.  Finally, it could just be that the race condition is caused by the
fact that there

are two simultaneous startups. Try changing the Recording Scheduling
setup for *one* of those

programs, to start *one minute early*, so that the two are not
simultaneous. I suspect that this is the easiest fix.G.