[mythtv-users] ?Card?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Tue Jun 18 13:51:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Devin Heitmueller <
dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com>
> wrote:
> > Instead of trying to find the needle in a haystack, do this:
> >
> > grep -i -E "kworld|dvb" /var/log/messages
> >
> > and
> >
> > dmesg | grep -i -E "kworld|dvb"
> >
> > The '-i' modifier says to ignore case, and -E is extended regexp, so it
> will
> > look for lines with kworld OR dvb.
> >
> > If you want to view the whole file, by all means do the above, but
> trying to
> > find a single line amongst thousands by eye is going to be difficult.
>
> Just an FYI:  this is generally a bad idea.  There are many very
> important lines that won't show up in a grep for kworld or dvb, which
> would be required by anybody who actually knows how to review the log
> file.
>
> Far better to yank the board for ten minutes, do a boot with the one
> card, run dmesg once, and then post the results.  There won't be too
> much in there that accumulates in there in the 2-3 minutes it takes to
> boot the computer and get to a prompt (probably a couple thousand
> lines at most).
>
> Regards,
>
> Devin

If he's trying to determine if there is a kworld board, this will tell us,
as we are still trying to determine that. Your method works too. :)

It's also a learning process for the OP, since he is clearly not that
familiar with Linux yet, just trying to add a tool to his arsenal.

Tom