[mythtv-users] Help getting SPDIF optical out to work

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Tue Jun 18 02:43:27 UTC 2013

>/  card 1: ICE1724 [ICEnsemble ICE1724], device 1: ICE1724 IEC958 [ICE1724
/>/  IEC958]
/>/    Subdevices: 1/1
/>/    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
/>/
/
That one should be the device.

Probably the easiest way, without having to install any other software
or components as suggested earlier.

In myth, go into Setup -> Audio
Select the device above, press Test try the test. Do you hear
anything? if not, try another audio device in the list and start
again.

Repeat until you find one that work.

If you've done them all and none gave you audio.... well either card
is faulty or drivers are.
JY

people.

I did try what you mentioned prior to sending the email but if I did not
tell you that than how would you know.  I forgot to mention that the HDMI
output does work but I have the HDMI going to my TV for video and I really
want the digital sound going to my stereo. I am using the DVI output on
my motherboard with a DVI to HDMI converter to get the video into the TV.
I was really hoping to force the audio out of the digital SPDIF out on my
motherboard.  I even purchased another sound card just to rule out any
hardware malfunction and still nothing. I even placed some recommended
lines in my /etc/asound.conf file which I never needed before but I
figured I had nothing to loose.  I think I just need to find a way to
force the sound out of the port I want instead of letting linux decide
the one I want.