[mythtv-users] ?Card?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jun 17 22:53:35 UTC 2013

>  Yes, it is a top post... see how it is above all of the content of the
>>> message.
>>>

>> In gmail, you need to click the three dots at the bottom of the text box
>> after clicking "reply" to see the entire message content.  Then, remove any
>> unnecessary content, headers, and footers.  Finally, type your reply below,
>> or inline with, the content you are replying to.
>>
>> Gmail crops off most of the repeated information, so you read the thread
>> from top to bottom anyway... but not everyone uses gmail.
>>
>> Pretend for example that you delete every email after reading it.  If you
>> get a new message on a thread that you have forgotten about, you would need
>> to scroll to the bottom and read upwards to see what the most recent reply
>> was talking about.  Even worse, if some people bottom post, and some top...
>> then you need to jump around in the email to make sense of it.
>>
>> Bottom posting is great for making each individual message more readable.
>>  Most mail clients assume that you keep your email and they display them in
>> a threaded view so that you can follow the thread from top to bottom... but
>> who keeps every email in a mailing list?
>>

> Thanks Joe and Mike, I'll be bottom posting from now on. Many apologies.

Perfect.  And no problem it's an easy mistake to make in gmail... I do it
all the time if I don't take a second to think.

There was a rash of top posting when gmail introduced the "trimmed content"
feature with those three dots... and many of those folks were active
participants who knew better than to top post... it's just not the most
intuitive solution.

I have even heard horror stories where people send replies to folks who
weren't involved in the conversation without realizing that the entire
content of the thread is being sent because it was hidden by the three
dots.  Unfortunately, as of yet there is no way to turn it off.