[mythtv-users] ?Card?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 17 21:54:24 UTC 2013

Daryl,

As it seems (based on the number of times people in this thread have
asked you to stop top posting and/or have been fixing/removing your top
posting when replying to you, and the fact that you're still top posting
in your new replies) that you don't understand the meaning of top
posting, this message is meant simply to explain these requests.

Top posting is posting new information above the quoted message to which
you're replying.  It results in "unnatural" conversations in the best of
cases (where the answer comes before the question) and--when mixed with
bottom or inline posts--results in unreadable conversations with mixed
answer1-answer2-question2-answer3-question1-question3 type constructs.

So, the /most/ important thing is that on a given list, everyone agrees
to one form of replying to previous posts.  The agreed approach in this
list is to bottom post or inline post (see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette#Bottom_post ).  The
idea behind this is identical to the idea behind having a rule of the
road that tells you whether to drive on the right or left side--it
doesn't matter which rule is chosen, only that everyone in a given area
agrees to--and /adheres/ to-- the rule.

So, please post your replies below the quoted message (and remove any
unnecessary information, such as mailing list footers, etc) to make it
easier for people browsing the archives to understand the content of the
thread so they can learn from your conversation and experiences.

Thank you.

Mike

Example top posting:
-----
Answer.

On 06/17/2013 08:13 AM, Someone wrote:

> Question.
----

Example bottom posting:
-----
On 06/17/2013 08:13 AM, Someone wrote:

> Question

Answer
-----

Example of the jumble that results when the same conversation mixes both
top and bottom posting:
-----

On 06/17/2013 08:13 AM, Someone wrote:
> It still doesn't work.
>

> On 06/16/2013 09:48 PM, Someone Else wrote:
>
>> On 06/16/2013 17:22, Someone  wrote:
>>> It doesn't work.
>> Did you try modprobe -f?
>>> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do
>>> eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
>> But other important information.
>>> Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris
>>> nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in
>>> reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla
>>> pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in
>>> culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
>>
>> Sometimes you have to also...

I'm not sure what it may be, then.  Perhaps someone else has an idea.

S. Else
-----