[mythtv-users] What lessons can I learn from this?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jun 17 19:50:26 UTC 2013

> >> And does mythtv have any notification / alert options that could of been
> >> set to
> >> notify me about the failed recordings?
>
> > Well, the first lesson, the one I can help you with, is to always check
> your
> > system is functional each day.
>
> Really? Is it 1993 again?

Hilarious!

> Anyway, some previous discussion here:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-March/328923.html

Some great stuff there.

Really wish I were a developer, I think it would be relatively trivial to
add support for error detection and reporting to mythtv.

My vision is that every check is an independent script... the community can
supply the scripts for whatever they want to monitor and we would
eventually get a large collection of scripts to monitor all kinds of
things.  For example, there might be a script to check on the status of
your NFS share, another to check the status of an MD raid, another for a
Dell PERC raid, another for Ext4 volume fragmentation, etc.

Each script can be triggered by one or more of a variety of events that the
user could select.  For example, some checks might only run when the
backend starts, others daily, hourly, etc.  Then you could select from a
list of triggers that the backend can generate... recording complete,
recording started, backend wakeup, etc.

Finally you can configure the reporting options for each script... have a
popup on all your frontends, get an email, send the error to a syslog
server, log it to a file, whatever.

Maybe someday I'll try my hand at writing some code.