[mythtv-users] Custom Schedules Grouping

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jun 17 19:28:50 UTC 2013

> Thanks for the help -- looks like Recording Groups (
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**Recording_groups<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recording_groups>)
>>> is what I was looking for.
>>>
>>>  Depending on which theme you are using, the available recording groups
>> will
>> be displayed on the "Watch Recordings" screen, and you can move from one
>> group to the next or previous by hitting the FF and Rew keys on your
>> remote.
>>

> Are you sure this is theme dependent and not determined by whether or not
> you've enabled showing "Recording Groups" in MENU|Change Group View?

I am pretty sure that it's not theme dependent... just some themes show the
Recording Groups in a horizontal bar, and some don't... but pressing the
FF/REW keys will still cycle through the available recording groups.

Here are the settings I make in the "Playback" settings (pages 4 & 5):

Episode sort order: Sort sub-titles Ascending, multi-titles Descending
  - This means that when you have a specific show selected, the oldest
episode is at the top, however if you view the entire recording group, the
newest shows are at the top.

Sort episodes: Original air date

Start in group list: checked

Default group filter to apply: default
- This tells the system that by default it should open the selected group
filter upon opening the watch recordings screen.

Always prompt for initial group filter
- this will prompt you for the recording group to display every time you
open the "watch recordings" screen.  The cursor position is determined by
the "default group filter to apply" setting, or the last recording group
viewed if "save current group filter when changed" is checked.

Save current group filter when changed: disabled
- if you have "always prompt for initial group filter" enabled, then this
will place the cursor at the position of the last recording group you used
rather than putting at whatever you set for  "default group filter to
apply".

Show filter name instead of "All Programs"
- this setting should be going away soon, essentially if your current
filter is "Oklahoma Sports" that will be what shows up as the "all
recordings in this group" selection... rather than a vague label of "All
Programs".  It was very hard to explain to users that "All Programs" meant
all programs in the current filter, not really all programs that are
available to the system.