[mythtv-users] Frontend problem on new Macbook Air

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 09:47:59 UTC 2013

On 17 June 2013 15:50, Alan Chandler <alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
> I am running mythubuntu on the backend that is pretty recent
>
> 2:2.0.26+fixes.21030530.bfd2408-0ubuntu0mythbuntu1

do you have any other frontends available on linux?

it could be the main database, or the database as used by one of the
frontend plugin...

in anycase, you need to run a mythfrontend as recent as the mac one,
that will perform the upgrade before you can start the mac one.

that, or install mysql on your mac and make sure it's in the path, so
mythfrontend can perform the database backup

> (in fact i am about to upgrade that to fixes.20130616)
>
> Do I need to do something separate to upgrade the database?

normally, no

> Also note earlier in the thread where I said I tried 0.25 and it told me
> that the protocol was wrong. I am pretty sure I have a completely up to date
> backend.
doesn't mean it's the last one

> The other piece of evidence is the second pastebin, where I kill off the
> existing processes, and in its dying moments it does actually connect to the
> database with protocol 75.

> The other question is WHY is it trying to back up the database? This
> frontend is supposed to be just a slave frontend and the database isn't
> local to it, yet it is acting like it is.

because it's always done that way

prior upgrading the database, it attempts to make a backup. If the
backup fails then the upgrade won't occur.

the mac can perform the upgrade, but not the backup unless you
manually installed mysql and made it available in the PATH

>  I tried the very same command with the log on my linux box with a remote
> front end and the startup is pretty similar (except it just assumes QT
> Painter, and doesn't try OpenGL), but that doesn't try and backup the
> database, nor does it try and start mythlogserver

because you are running a version identical to the one in your
backend. so it doesn't attempt to perform an upgrade.

the mac one is more recent and needs an updated version.

what's so hard to understand?

none of the data you have provided so far contradict what I posted
earlier, quite the opposite, it made it even more obvious about what
the problem is.

now, either you do what I tell you to, or you can try your own way....
it's up to you