[mythtv-users] import / export between systems

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Jun 16 23:41:08 UTC 2013

On Jun 16, 2013, at 19:24, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> Best bet is to put the recordings from one system into Video Library.
>>
>> Use mythlink.pl to create useful file names ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing ), and then put the videos into the directories under your Videos Storage Group.
>
> I was thinking of doing this with some of the series I've been recording. When I ripped a series DVD, I used the filename Series_SeasonxEpisode.mkv and MythVideo picked up the metadata just fine.
>
> Just looking at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl and I don't see a way to put the Season/Episode numbers in when I run it on Recordings. Will MythVideo be able to find the metadata just based on Series and Subtitle?

Mythlink.pl does not currently support season and episode number, as that information is not available for use until the additional metadata scripts have run to grab it.  The Video Library should be able to operate just fine without it, but you may not like the filename it produces for you own organizational pattern.

> Also...still kinda new at the symlink thing...if I move the files from the Recording group to the Video group, don't the symlinks break? Or is there a special command to do this?

When you copy the symlinks, have it dereference the symlinks and copy the file directly, rather than just the symlink.