[mythtv-users] import / export between systems

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jun 16 20:53:22 UTC 2013

On 06/16/2013 07:53 AM, Greg Cope wrote:
> I have setup a new Mythtv system with a view to moving my old
> recordings to it.  I have done this in the past by mounting the drive
> with all my recordings, and then just restoring the DB and running
> mythsetup that then promptly upgrades it.
>
> However as my old system stopped recording some channels we have
> recordings on both.
>
> How can I export recordings from new, trash the new one and import
> from old, upgrade mythversion/db, and then re-import the new recordings?
>
> Not sure a DB backup/restore will work as doing the 2nd import will
> blat the older (upgraded) data.
>
> Pretty sure there used to be a away of exporting the dbdata and files
> and then reimporting them?
>
> Ideas?

Best bet is to put the recordings from one system into Video Library.

Use mythlink.pl to create useful file names (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing ), and then put the
videos into the directories under your Videos Storage Group.

And, if you actually plan to do more than watch and delete those
episodes, move other episodes of the series from the other MythTV system
into Video Library, too.  Video Library is much better for organizing
and finding and managing video than is Watch Recordings--because Video
Library lets you organize it the way you want.  And, now that Video
Library has better metadata support than Watch Recordings--for both
movies and TV--it's a great place to put any large collection of video,
even if most of the videos are recordings made by this system.

Basically, Video Library is for user-managed video; Watch Recordings is
for storing recordings made by this MythTV system until they're watched
and deleted or until they're archived to a more-appropriate location
(such as Video Library).  See:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519758#519758
and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519996#519996