[mythtv-users] Audio wierdness: AC-3 upconvert. Do I have a problem?

Phil Wild phil at holobyte.com.au
Thu Jun 13 16:14:02 UTC 2013

> When it comes to audio playback quality, there's very little doubt in
> my mind that myth has the most advanced and comprehensive system
> available from all player available: you *always* get the best
> possible data that can be handled by your hardware/software... XBMC
> new Audio Engine only caught up in using 24 bits audio internally a
> few months ago (while making a big fuss about it) when myth had that
> for years (Added in 0.24)
>
> If you have a file sample where you can consistently reproduce the
> issue, I'm happy to have a look and see what's going on...

Thanks JYA,
I am pretty sure it is something completely mythtv unrelated now. I have
been able to get the same sound from the left rear speaker from a source
that is not mythtv, nor from the frontend PC. It happens a lot with myth
but rarely with the other source ( managed to get it to do it once from my
logitech squeezebox playing heavy bass). I have reconfigured the speaker
setting in my receiver so the speakers are classed as small rather than
large so more of the low frequency is going to the subwoofer. This has
improved things but not fixed it. The rear speakers are in-ceiling mount
NHT's. I need to get it out and have a better look. The sound is like the
speaker is being driven full travel and hitting something (if that makes
sense).

Sorry to steer you in this direction.

At least I now know that my nvidia chipset is messed up when it comes to
the channels and how to fix it (which I haven't bothered to do).

Cheers

Phil