[mythtv-users] Raspberry PI as backend slave or tvheadend

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Jun 11 20:05:33 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-07 at 12:53 +0000, Doug Scoular (dscoular) wrote:

> What I'm more interested in is whether:
>
> 1. Would a Raspberry Pi be a reasonable platform to consider for a mythtv slave backend ?, or if not:
> 2. Are there any plans to allow a mythtv backend to use tvheadend as a remote tuner ?

How about this idea.  Buy an HD HomeRun, they are clearing em out all
over the Internet right now, put it in a weatherized box along with a
PoE adapter and loft the whole thing up the pole.  Forget losses in
coax, splitters, amplifiers, all of that analog stuff and just run Cat5
up the pole.  And forget the need for a slave backend as well, kill two
birds with one stone.  The master backend should have no problems taking
in some more streams from the HomeRun unless you are hitting the limits
of what you can write to the drives and if you are hitting that wall
having a Pi write over NFS will fail as well and you need to consider
scalability options for your storage.

You might have to dig a bit for something that can do 'real' PoE and
output the right voltage for the HomeRun but you can always homebrew
something up if you are handy with a soldering iron.  All you really
need to do is inject bulk DC up the pole to a regulator near the HomeRun
and have a box at both ends to insert/remove the DC on pins not needed
for 10/100 ethernet.  What you want to avoid is having to run 120/220vac
up the mast and use the factory supplied power brick.