[mythtv-users] inexpensive front end

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun Jun 9 00:31:18 UTC 2013

Celeron 1610... or Celeron G540 is all you need for a combined
frontend/backend HD system if your not overly concerned about deinterlacing
and don't need VC-1 support (or encoding support if/when it comes).

I am using a Celeron G540 now on my primary backend and it works great.
 Decodes using VAAPI use <10% CPU, leaving plenty of overhead to commflag
one or two HD shows in realtime while serving up shows to 2 other frontends.

I am using mine on a 20" monitor in my office, and the picture is
adequate... though I can see deinterlacing being an issue on a large TV.
 However I suspect, though cannot confirm, that you could have the system
output interlaced shows in their native format and let the TV handle the
deinterlacing for you.. it's probably better than what the Intel HD
Graphics can do.