[mythtv-users] Ceton infiniTV 6tuner devicesannounced(PCIeand Ethernet)

William Korb korb at qisc.com
Sat Jun 8 14:05:24 UTC 2013

On 05/14/2013 03:40 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:
>> So basically what you are saying is the Ceton rep was full of BS on the
>> facebook post and their statement "if your cable box can record it then
>> the ceton pcie cablecard device can record it" is plain out wrong.
>
> Not by the actual use of the words (rather than how you want to interpret
> them).  The requirements of the Ceton specifically state they require
> Windows Media Center.  WMC can record that content. *Playback*, on the
> other hand, has numerous requirements too, and in reality that means local
> playback, or an xbox, or media extenders (all with HDCP compliant
> monitors).  Most media extenders were removed from the market (I presume no
> one was buying them). Interestingly, Ceton now sells an extender called the
> echo.
>
> So, the Ceton rep was telling you the truth, but not the whole truth.  It
> is called marketing.  Refer to dilbert.com for why marketing people and
> technical people do not tend to communicate well.
>
> Gary _______________________________________________ mythtv-users mailing
> list mythtv-users at mythtv.org

Sorry guys, late reply on this thread.

Perhaps this has been already beaten to death in the past, but is it simply
not possible for Myth to be modified to adhere to the DRM rules such that
users like myself? Charter is pretty tight with their "Copy Free" channels - I
can't even record AMC HD "The Walking Dead" which is a real bummer! Or is this
just the usual paranoia about OSS that if they make it possible for Myth to
deal with DRM that people will find a way to circumvent it since they have
source code access?

It seems to me that since I pay good money for my expanded cable lineup I
should be able to use it how I want - within the legal limits, of course. Now
if only my elected representative was on the FCC oversight committee and I
could convince him to run Myth at his house... ;-)

Thanks,
Bill

- --
William Korb, President & CTO          Phone:  715-382-5462
QISC, Inc.
19945 82nd Ave., Suite 201             E-mail: korb at qisc.com
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729-5631          URL:    http://www.qisc.com/
"Tilting at Digital Windmills since 1995."