[mythtv-users] Raspberry PI as backend slave or tvheadend as tuner ?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 16:47:43 UTC 2013

>>         I already have a mast head amplifier and a heavily researched
>> brand new
>> aerial and quad shielded co-ax. The signal is still very marginal.
>> Splitting or adding yet another amplifier just aren't options.
>
> I still don't understand this.  You claim that an exotic antenna system
> struggles to deliver but you're proposing to use a 'spare' antenna with the
> RPi.  It may be a fun project but otherwise it doesn't really add up.

Agreed. The thing about boosters is, if your signal is weak at the
antenna, all the boosting in the world won't help you. But, if there
IS enough signal at the first booster, then you can boost it and split
it for a whole bunch of tuners and get a decent signal at all of them
(assuming a quality booster that doesn't overmodulate or add a bunch
of noise).

Boosters overcome signal loss inherent in long cable runs and
splitters. You can never get a better signal coming out than went in
to it, but if you have acceptable signal now, there should be zero
issues with a quality 4-way splitter/booster replacing your current
solution.