[mythtv-users] Raspberry PI as backend slave or tvheadend as tuner ?

Doug Scoular (dscoular) dscoular at cisco.com
Wed Jun 5 02:11:40 UTC 2013

Hi All,
I have a tricky problem, I live on the fringe of Sydney and get a very marginal DVB-T signal.

The signal is just strong enough to support one tuner (well a dual tuner with one co-ax input – a Sony PlayTV tuner).

I recently obtained a second PlayTV tuner and have an older antenna on my garage roof. Using a co-ax splitter isn't an option as the signal is already marginal and boosted. I have ethernet connectivity to the garage but no co-ax between the lounge and the garage. I was thinking I could use a spare raspberry pi in the garage connected to the spare PlayTV tuner and antenna as a mythtv slave backend and connect that via ethernet to my master backend.

I've only seen discussion of the Raspberry Pi being a dubious choice for either a master backend (due to the scheduling processing costs and/or recoding costs) or a frontend where the video decoding/ program guide display may be an issue. I was wondering what people thought of using the Raspberry Pi as a mythtv slave backend. Presumably it merely presents the tuner to the master and could write recordings to an NFS mount.

If the overhead of running a mythtv slave backend is too much for a Raspberry Pi I was then wondering if tvheadend (which seems to work for XBMC) might be a possibility.

So I guess I have 2 questions:

  1.  Would a Raspberry Pi be a reasonable platform to consider for a mythtv slave backend ?, or if not:
  2.  Are there any plans to allow a mythtv backend to use tvheadend as a remote tuner ?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Doug