[mythtv-users] How much is too much CPU?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Mon Jun 3 23:59:12 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-03, at 6:37 PM, Chris Finley <debenbain at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:
>> 720x480 and then let your device scale up to fill its screen. You can hardly tell the difference and it makes things go so much faster.
>
> Faster in what part of the process?

The transcoding. Current players are flakey when it comes to seeking within an in progress transcode so I let mine run to completion and then begin playback so faster is better.

> I was thinking about avoiding the
> HLS transcoding costs at the increased cost of wireless bandwidth. I
> agree that the actual resolution is probably not that important.
>
> Is it even possible to stream the native resolution without transcoding?

It is, the myth services API has a way to send out the raw video. In MythExpress I set up a <video src="services URL"> tag and the native player takes over. I'm sure the other two clients have similar features.

- George