[mythtv-users] How much is too much CPU?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 03:36:35 UTC 2013

Hi

On 31 May 2013 22:56, Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:

> For HLS streaming you'll want asmany cores are you can get I've got a
> i5-2400 Quad and on the default 2 core limit it was't enough to keep up with
> a single stream (only just) enabling 4 core decoding makes it works well

To be honest, I don't think the issue here is only a CPU one...
Reason for me saying so: I use AirVideo streaming server that is also
pointing to the mythtv recordings and videos folder.

I can always stream from my iPad from the AirVideo server in real-time
and starting within 2-3s of requesting content.

I'm not sure how AirVideo does it (it's also using ffmpeg), but it
certains that they master the encoding better than myth does.
You can also seek within the video anywhere pretty much instantly
which is a massive plus.

Until earlier this year, I was using a 3GHz C2D as backend, and not
once as there been an issue with AirVideo.
I now use an i5 2300 and it also has no issue (but that's not
surprising as it's a much faster CPU than the C2D)