[mythtv-users] Going Virtual and upgrading tuners

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Tue Jul 30 18:22:07 UTC 2013

On 7/30/2013 2:09 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/30/2013 01:56 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
>>
>> Well you can backup your database and then import it into virtual
>> machine. I bet this will start a war vm v separate machines. I have
>> hp 380 g6 that consumes 100 watts of power and runs 15 vm server 2012
>> mythtv and etc so I would have to have 15 servers stackup in order to
>> do what I use one server with xen.
>>

> If only it were possible to run multiple programs on a single
> computer.  I suppose that's just some wishful thinking.  One day,
> maybe the dream will become reality.
>
> Mike

Wow, didn't mean to start a religious war.  Perhaps a little more
background on why a VM... :)

My current BE is a very old P4 machine with 3Gb of memory.  It can
handle SD video fine but it wouldn't scale to HD or in my case multiple
HD streams.  I had to go to a new box.
I have 2 actual servers.  Cisco C series box's with 5650 CPU's (Dual)
and 192 Gb of RAM in them as well as 10Gb out to my network switch.  I'm
running ESX on them currently as they run a ton of VM's of multiple
OS's  as well as production systems at my house.
I cant re purpose one of them for a physical box without breaking the HA
I have currently.  Given I have plenty of CPU power and memory to use
for the VM It just made sense to do it that way. Otherwise I'm going out
to by a new box to replace my existing box. I'm trying to shrink my
server footprint if at all possible.  Thats was the primary driver.

While I have decent experience with Linux (its my home
DHCP/DNS/SAMBA/WWW/FTP,etc) box I still get a bit uneasy when I get
around the fringes of my knowledge.  Being able to snapshot prior to
doing a major upgrade, or even doing a major upgrade while leaving the
current system running is a nice thing for me as well.  MythTV has come
a LONG way from the .21 ways when I started and its install/config is
very easy at this point but if I can take any more risk out of it I will.

I do appreciate the feedback around VM vs. Not VM especially if a
performance/stability issue is at the root of the problem.

Now back to the religous war...

:)

Larry