[mythtv-users] Listings grabber won't respect SchedulesDirect

Justin Moore justin.nonwork at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 02:03:11 UTC 2013

TL;DR: What magic do I use to get the listings grabber to ONLY fill my
currently-empty channel list with the subset of channels from Schedules
Direct I've select, without it going "HELL YEAH, 700 CHANNELS, I'M GOING TO
GRAB ALL OF THAT!!"

I recently moved and changed TV providers. I blew away all the old channel
data since it doesn't apply anymore, but I can't figure out how to get
either mythtv-setup or mythfilldatabase to only grab the channels I select
in SchedulesDirect.

Steps:

1) In SchedulesDirect, pare down the 700+ channels available to the ~150 I
subscribe to.

2) In mythtv-setup, add SchedulesDirect as a video source. Confirm that it
actually finds my new listing.

3) Link the new video source to my STB input.

4) Do "Fetch channels from listings source".

5) Watch in horror as the listings grabber grabs all 700+ channels and
resets all my preferences in SchedulesDirect to be the full 700-channel
lineup.

I can't figure out which mythfilldatabase flags is for "you currently have
no data, so only grab the ones allowed in SchedulesDirect". When I start
with a blank mythconverg.channel table,

mythtv-setup grabs all data and resets SchedulesDirect preferences to all
700 channels

mythfilldatabase --do-channel-updates grabs all data and resets SD
preferences to all 700 channels

--only-update-channels also grabs all data and resets all preferences

--dd-grab-all (of course) grabs all data and resets all preferences

mythfilldatabase --remove-new-channels grabs zero data

The last time I did a fresh setup was in 2007, so clearly I've forgotten
whatever magic I did before.

Thanks,
-jdm