[mythtv-users] EPG Accuracy (Was: record at any time on channel <CHANNEL> is missing in master soon to be .27)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Jul 27 20:37:35 UTC 2013

Stephen Worthington wrote:
>Actually, there is no need for matching to be done on the description
>data at all if the EPG is done right.
Yes, I think we all agree on that, lots of things wouldn't be neccessary if the EPG was done right !

>Go to a program in the your EPG
>or a recording and hit the I key twice and look for the Program(me) ID
>field.  If the EPG is done correctly, it will be present and have a
>value that can be kept unchanged whenever an episode is broadcast.  I
>believe that if MytTV has a Program ID value, it ignores all the other
>criteria in matching episodes.  Here in New Zealand, the channel that
>does it best is ChoiceTV.  In their xmltv EPG most programs look like
>this:
>
><programme channel="choice.freeviewnz.tv" start="20130726010000 +1200"
>stop="20130726013000 +1200">
>	<title>Yard Crashers</title>
>        <desc>Yard Crashers catches shoppers in home improvement
>stores looking for people who are clearly in need of help. These
>surprised shoppers will have their yard completely transformed!</desc>
>        <episode-num system="dd_progid">YCRA02_08</episode-num>
>        <rating system="Freeview">
>        	<value>G</value>
>        </rating>
></programme>
>
>Note the <episode-num system="dd_progid"> tag.  There are several
>values for system= that provide the proper data for MythTV's ProgramID
>field.  I rather like the way dd_progid works, as it is easy to
>understand, but several other formats work well too.

Well, I was looking for a specific example of where things go wrong, but can't find one right at the moment. Ones I can find (eg Top Gear on Dave) seem to be either too old (before I was using Myth ?) or I can't find anything similar using the description field in oldrecorded.

But while I was looking, pulled this from the oldrecorded table dating back to 2010 :
title:Top Gear
subtitle:
description:Here it comes again, the car show that prides itself on being as bland and inoffensive as a cheese and Marmite sandwich. BBC2's biggest-hitting series is now a global phenomenon, an international megabrand at once adored by fans and derided by po-faced commentators, who see its three amigos as the over-revved horsemen of the apocalypse. It has conquered the world and offended millions, but is it still any good? We'll have to watch how series 15 pans out, but we can be sure of a familiar mix: inspired challenges, wild stunts and moments of pantomime genius will be interspersed, it's safe to assume, with tumbleweed studio banter and pot-bellied rants about political correctness. Tonight's show looks suitably packed. Among other items, Jeremy Clarkson investigates why there aren't more three-wheeled cars in the world, with a look at the fondly remembered Reliant Robin; James May drives a Toyota Hilux up an Icelandic volcano; and the team say hello to a new Reasonably Priced Car. Radio Times reviewer - David Butcher
seriesid:103079474
programid:
This is an example where it goes out first time round with reviewers comments - while later it's likely to go out with a generic (I assume production company supplied) description.

More recent episodes have a programid of the form "EP1030794744k"

>So what I would like to see is that producers of programs provide a
>value like this with all programs they send out for broadcast.

Wouldn't we all !