[mythtv-users] Court rules commercial-skipping in recording covered under Fair Use

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 23:42:14 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> * On Thu Jul 25, 2013 at 06:46:22PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
>> > I got the impression it *is* hand marked.
>>
>> btw, this is not a new idea, but it does again point out that
>> a (potential) crowd-sourced solution for MythTV commercial
>> flagging could be done, at least for the "networks".
>
> The problem with this comes in with the fact that MythTV users are
> getting their content from literally hundreds of sources for the
> same exact TV episode/movie/etc. showing.

I would agree with the difficulties involved with "getting it right"
(and I never meant to imply it would be easy), but if you had
the data (and a *lot* of data, not just one contributor), and
used it as a "hint" to the flagger, it would likely help
substantially.  After all, to first order of magnitude,
every broadcast of "Design..." would have the opening
recap/teaser act of 2 minutes, followed by 5 minutes of
commercials, followed by the 9 minute first act, followed by
5 minutes of commercials, whether on HD, SD, east or west
coast feeds, they all follow the same breaks.  If you had that
kind of data, I have to believe that your commercial flagger
would be able to make better decisions, at least some of the
time.  But I do not really have a dog in this race, since I tend
to just forward skip, so my thoughts are probably not relevant.

In any event, this potential feature request is probably off
topic for this thread.

Gary