[mythtv-users] Court rules commercial-skipping in recordings covered under Fair Use

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 25 13:07:36 UTC 2013

On 07/24/2013 08:57 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> A cable company
> may *not* just pick up the OTA signals and rebroadcast them(*).
> (*) For the moment, we will ignore the Aereo case.  Too
> early to know where that goes (in court).

Hehe.  I was just going to say, "which is the whole basis of the Aereo
case."  The best part of this case, though, is that now Time Warner is
telling CBS--who wants TWC to pay 6x as much for permission to
rebroadcast CBS channels--that if CBS doesn't accept TWC's proposed
retransmission fee and chooses to refuse to allow TWC to retransmit the
CBS content, TWC will recommend that all its users sign up for Aereo.
Talk about twisting the thorn in CBS's side.  :)

That said, Aereo says they're not rebroadcasting since they have an
antenna for each user of their service.  However, one has to wonder just
how much they'd actually be able to pick up with an antenna that's
(literally) the size of a dime.  I know my 12'x16' antenna has a
challenge picking up some of my channels, at least some of the time.  If
they're really using those dime-sized antennas (antennae for you Brits,
but I specifically mean the metallic type, not those on insects), I
would love to get my hands on that magic.

Mike