[mythtv-users] record at any time on channel <CHANNEL> is missing in master soon to be .27

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 24 14:38:33 UTC 2013

On 07/24/2013 10:27 AM, jrh wrote:
> I am using mythfrontend, with the Mythcenter-wide v 1.7 theme.
>
> Will the 'this channel' be default to 'ON'? Or have an option to set it to default to ON? It is in the advanced settings for a recording which is normally hidden.

You can create recording rule templates to apply whatever recording rule
options you like.  So, you could make one for each of the "this channel"
channels you use.

The reason for the split to advanced settings is because we wanted to
make it easy for most people to create the vast majority of needed
recording rules--i.e. creating "anytime/any channel" rules.  Those
"extra" settings people can use

Note, also, there's seldom reason for a "this channel" rule.  There are
typically much better options available.  For example, for the scenario
you describe:

> For example for a given show, i use it on for a show that is broadcast weekly, and I want to keep all of them. However, for that same show that is in 'syndication' on a different channel I want to restrict the number of episodes to a dozen or so as it is played constantly.

a better approach would be to use the "new episodes" filter for the new
episodes.  Note, also, that the fact that there are almost always better
approaches available than "this channel" rules is the reason "this
channel" rules were removed (and the "this channel" filter was
added)--it is meant to indicate that "this channel" should not be a
first-level criteria when deciding how to schedule shows.  Instead, you
should look at other options, first, and leave "this channel" filter as
a less-preferred tool in the arsenal.

In general, use of "this channel" rules seems to have been mostly due to
users failing to understand other (better) options available for scheduling.

Mike