[mythtv-users] Small backend server with IPMI (remote virtual console access)?

Brendan Kearney bpk678 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 22:34:49 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-07-18 at 17:07 -0500, Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 2013-07-18 5:03 PM, Jonathan Larson wrote:
> >
> > I would recommend you look at this supermicro system if you want atom + IPMI (the supermicro version is very easy to use): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GKULFO
>
> I have a few systems I've put together for me and clients using the Supermicro ATOM based boards with IPMI.
>
> And they have a nice util for driving the console.
>
> I've used the X7SPA and X7SPE models - but only for webserver style implementations.
>
>   -Ben

i have a couple of HP Microservers and have been wowed by them, in terms
of bang-for-the-buck.  i have the 2 N36L's and 1 N40L.  The N54L will
likely be greatly discounted soon, since they recently launched the Gen8
version.  Each version has a higher clock speed then the last, on an AMD
Turion dual core processor.  they are low power consumption, but i have
not taxed one running a bunch of stuff on them (ldap, kerberos, dns,
dhcp, squid).  the ones i have support 8 GB of ram, have 4 LFF SATA 2
drive bays (which are hot swappable under linux).  the box also has 1
PCIe x16 slot rated for no more than 25 watts, and an x1 slot with IPMI
port.  both slots are half height.  HP provides an IPMI card for an
additonal price, and i have one for all of my microservers.

the gen8 box has IPMI built in, 1 PCIe x16 slot (likely with the same
power restriction), dual onboard Gb NICs and a core i3 i think running
on sandy bridge.  it also supports 16 GB of ram now.  the price point
has gone up for the box, but wow you could really build it into
something.  i intend to build a combo backend/frontend device with a
N54L, and if i could, would run ZFS on a packed out gen8 box as a NAS /
SAN for the rest of my network.