[mythtv-users] Small backend server with IPMI (remote virtual console access)?

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 20:23:49 UTC 2013

I recently ran into a problem with my backend server while I was traveling
for a few weeks.  The system is generally very stable, but for whatever
reason it was hung and completely inaccessible via network.  Once I got
back, I only had a blank screen, but a reboot brought it back (still not
sure about the root problem..  log has a flurry of mythlogserver New
Clients & Expirations).

If I had virtual console access via IPMI (or iLO or similar), I could have
quickly remedied the issue - or even went as far as remotely rebuilding the
system if needed.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for IPMI enabled servers
suitable for MythTV.   My preference is to go as small as possible.  My
current backend is an Atom/Ion system with a couple USB drives.  The
candidates I've located thus far are:

1. HP Microserver - Small, but not as small as I would like.  Requires
additional IPMI card, which brings the total system cost up a little high.

2. Supermicro SYS-5015A 1U Atom server.  Excellent option, low power
Atom-based.  But, it's a rack mount form factor.  So it's probably loud and
it's larger than what I want.

Any other good candidates, or capabilities similar to IPMI that I should
look into?