[mythtv-users] No MythTV backend after update of Linux Mint Debian Edition

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Thu Jul 11 23:09:14 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> On 11/07/13 18:48, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Enno Middelberg <
>> enno.middelberg at gmail.com
>>
>>> wrote:

>>> Ok, so I have tried this now:
>>>
>>> mysql -u root -p mythconverg
>>> Enter password:
>>> Reading table information for completion of table and column names
>>> You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A
>>>
>>> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
>>> Your MySQL connection id is 121
>>> Server version: 5.5.28-1 (Debian)
>>>
>>> Copyright (c) 2000, 2012, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
>>> reserved.
>>>
>>> Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
>>> affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
>>> owners.
>>>
>>> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input
>>> statement.
>>>
>>> mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv";
>>> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>>>
>>> mysql> flush privileges;
>>> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>>>
>>> mysql> quit
>>>

>>> sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart
>>> [sudo] password for enno:
>>> [ ok ] Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
>>> [ ok ] Starting MySQL database server: mysqld ..
>>> [info] Checking for tables which need an upgrade, are corrupt or were
>>> not closed cleanly..
>>>
>>> sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart
>>> Restarting MythTV server: mythbackend No /usr/bin/mythbackend found
>>> running; none killed.
>>> .
>>> .
>>>
>>> Cannot login to database
>>>
>>> Would you like to configure the database connection now? [no]
>>> [console is not interactive, using default 'no']
>>>

>>> So this looks pretty much like what I had started with. What can I do
>>> to get this going?
>>>

>> Might want to set the password for the mythtv user in the database, then
>> fix it in config.xml
>>
>>  That's what the "grant all" operation does. It sets the password for the
> mythtv user to "mythtv".
>
> Now I recall that ubuntu, like debian, likes to think up some new password
> combination when you install mythtv. Perhaps that's what happened here.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

You're right, I didn't look up the password change syntax as I thought I
remembered it correctly. Whoops.

The password is only set on install for the mythtv user, shouldn't be
reset. And even then, he manually reset the password on it (which IMO is
the wrong way to do it on ubuntu/debian). Perhaps he should check
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml and see if the right password exists there.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos