[mythtv-users] UK Freeview HD surround sound

Chris Simmons chris at simmons.titandsl.co.uk
Wed Jul 10 21:48:31 UTC 2013

I'm thinking about buying a surround sound system.  Trouble is I'm using
Freeview HD which uses AAC LATM (according to mythtv) for audio.  Some
of this (e.g. Wimbledon Men's final) is in 5.1 surround sound.

I read here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2010/06/questions_around_surround_soun.html

that the bitrate is too high for SPDIF so that means I'll have to get a
HDMI receiver.  I'm using Nvidia+binary driver and I think its up to the
job on that end.

It seems unlikely that receivers will cope with AAC pass through (but
I'm guessing) and mythtv doesn't do this anyway - right?

So can mythtv convert to PCM or transcode to some other codec? Maybe
alsa can do it with sufficient hacking?

Thanks,

Chris.