[mythtv-users] syslog

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jul 8 17:35:31 UTC 2013

On 08/07/13 17:51, Andréas Kühne wrote:
> 2013/7/8 Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
>>>
>> I don't think it is a particularly good idea to put your own directives
>> in the file *before* the global directives, although in this case it
>> probably works fine.
>>
>> Look at the very last directive - that includes any files under a
>> subdirectory. You should put your own directives in a file in that
>> directory. The only reason to do otherwise is if you are editing lines
>> /out/ of the main config file.
>>
>> Lastly, the "*.*" directive above /should/ mean that you don't need to
>> specify any of the "local?.*" directives, as this includes all of them.
>>

> Thanks for the answer. I agree with you, it's probably not a good idea to
> do what I have done. I was just following the rsyslog examples for
> forwarding all logs to a remote server. Unfortunately it still doesn't seem
> to work. I have tried to add my configuration in different places, even
> changing the default syslog configuration for mythtv to forward all
> messages to the remote server (without the configuration in the default
> field).

I'm sorry to suggest this, but have you overlooked the obvious? It may be that
you are /sending/ logs out of your MBE but the log server isn't permitted to
receive them... You have to uncomment the TCP/UDP lines at the top of the global
file IIRC. There's also firewalls to consider. Are you passing port 514?

--

Mike Perkins