[mythtv-users] Install mythtv 0.25 on a wheezy system

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jul 8 09:17:23 UTC 2013

On 08/07/13 04:53, Bob wrote:
> My MBE is currently running 0.25, however I just upgraded my desktop (to Debian
> wheezy).  For some reason, my installation on 0.25 on the desktop was removed
> and I am trying to get it working again.
>
> I am using the deb-multimedia.org repositories, I've set my sources.list to use
> "squeeze" because "wheezy" installs 0.26.  For some reason when I try to
> "apt-get install mythtv-frontend" apt shows that 0.24 is going to be install,
> even though I can see 0.25 packages:
>
> http://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/main/m/mythtv/mythtv

Having just upgraded to wheezy from squeeze myself, as recently described, I
understand what you are going through.

I chose the easier option of upgrading to 0.26, even though it doesn't seem to
be the latest version - this /is/ Debian, after all. I can't help you get to
0.25 but I assume it involves something arcane like 'pinning', perhaps.

Two things to be aware of. If you don't create the mythtv user before you
install the packages you'll get a random UID/GID, which might make your
recordings belong to someone useful like 'ntp' or 'avahi'.

The second is that my system somehow switched from using hostname to fqdn (or
maybe vice versa). Avoidance procedure: save your original config.xml and make
sure that your new config.xml specifies the correct master hostname (for mysql)
/and/ local hostname (for mythtv) - the values that your old server used.

--

Mike Perkins