[mythtv-users] OT: Virtualization

Graham Mitchell woodlea at woodlea.us
Fri Jul 5 11:37:18 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Raymond Wagner
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 12:43 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] OT: Virtualization

<snip>

Of course, if you are a large enough organization to need an exchange
server, and the management capabilities of a domain controller, chances are
you're going to have enough load on them to merit giving them their own
physical systems, rather than putting them on an overextended box with a
bunch of other servers.

>	enough load on them to merit giving them their own physical systems

Actually not true. At work, we're running an Exchange 2010 DAG with over
1100 mailboxes, and a couple of CAS servers in an NLB cluster, and they're
all quite happily virtualized on vSphere (4, 5.0 and now 5.1). There's
absolutely no need to have them on a physical system these days, as long as
you make sure your SAN can handle the IOPS load (and that is MUCH reduced
from Exchange 2007 and previous versions).

Of our 200 plus servers, we have 6 physical ones left - 2 Domain
controllers, because we want to keep a physical one in each of our
datacenters, a SQL server, because the application that uses it is very
badly written and won't virtualize too well (and we're replacing it at the
moment), plus 3 servers which run our phone system (sipeXces), which hasn't
been certified for virtualization yet.