[mythtv-users] OT: Virtualization

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Jul 4 19:35:39 UTC 2013

On 13-07-04 03:23 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> I can easily spawn a new jail (paravirtualization) with its own
> filesystem and IP address to work on development. I actually do have
> several of these set up for use with various branches. Since all I'm
> doing is running MythTV in an isolated memory space, it takes about two
> seconds to start one up. My master backend sits in another jail, and
> should the need arise, I can shut it down, roll back to a previous
> snapshot, and bring it back up, all in about ten seconds.
>
> There is merit to isolation. There is merit to consolidation. However
> both of these can be accomplished without a full virtual machine.

Because (unless there are some generally accepted tools for doing so)
you (as do I, and others, but not everyone) know how to spin up a chroot
with all of the properly mounted virtual filesystems, etc.  Doing this
is not as straightforward to the linux newbie as installing from media
into a completely virtualized version of "the computer" they are used to
dealing with normally.

Not that I'm advocating the (ab)use of VMs where chroots are sufficient.
  I'm just saying they are not as straightforward as VMs.

b.