[mythtv-users] Full screen

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 3 02:49:52 UTC 2013

On 07/02/2013 04:43 PM, jedi wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 03:30:33PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>>      Using the bog standard X command line options is a perfectly sensible approach.
>>>
>> The point was that using it *every* time (see the "always" in
>> there?) is wrong because we allow you to specify it once, instead.
>      Calling it wrong is just nonsensical bullshit. It's easy enough to
> make it part of your standard way of calling the program. There's really
> no good reason to tell people to avoid it.
>
>      MythTV following and old convention like this is actually a good thing.

It's wrong because specifying every time implies that you've set the
width/height/offset settings in MythTV to something other than what
you're specifying--meaning other than what you want.

It's also wrong to set up MythTV to "Automatically Skip" commercials,
and then start it every single time with a -O override to disable
automatic commercial skip since you don't ever want automatic commercial
skip.

I will also say it's /wrong/ to create a recording rule to record "Jerry
Springer" at any time on any channel and then go into Upcoming
Recordings every day and click "Don't Record" on every "Jerry Springer"
episode on there because I don't ever want to record "Jerry Springer."

Likewise, I'll say it's wrong to not create a recording rule to record
"Under The Dome" and then look at the guide in MythTV and notice that
"Under the Dome" is on at 10pm on Monday the 8th and create a 1-hr
manual rule at 10pm on the 8th, then do the same thing on the 15th and ...

If you want something to behave one way, set the setting correctly and
there's no reason, whatsoever, to override it.

But, hey, if you really insist on overriding settings, why not just
start mythfrontend like so:

mythfrontend -geometry 1920x1080+0+0 -O Theme=Steppes -O
AutoCommercialSkip=0 -O EndOfRecordingExitPrompt=0 -O
AutomaticSetWatched=1 -O HaltCommand='sudo shutdown' -O
SetupPinCode='1234' -O RunInWindow -O UseFixedWindowSize=1 -O
DateFormat='yyyy-MM-dd' -O TimeFormat='hh.mm' -O ThemePainter='Auto' -O
ChannelGroupDefault='Favorites' -O WatchTVGuide=0

and all the rest... Oh, and to make it really worthwhile, you can change
all the settings to have the wrong values in mythfrontend settings.

Mike