[mythtv-users] Full screen

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Jul 2 08:31:31 UTC 2013

On 02/07/13 03:41, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/30/2013 05:01 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> I mostly run the frontend in a window on my monitor, DISPLAY=:0.0
>>
>> This puts it onto the TV.  Fedora, 0.26-fixes, but it may still be
>> usable.
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> # Run MythTV front end on display 1
>> # For Panasonic TX-L32E5B HDMI1 via DVI-I adapter
>> # This is for use if Overscan is OFF
>> #
>> # It seems that that requires _both_
>> #  that the TV overscan is OFF
>> #  and that the TV aspect ratio is set to [16:9]
>> #  If aspect ratio is AUTO it seems that Overscan is ON
>> #
>> #
>> export DISPLAY=:0.1
>> mythfrontend --geometry 1920x1080+0+0
>
> There's absolutely no reason to always run mythfrontend with a geometry
> override.  Instead, just set mythfrontend's settings to specify a size
> of 1920x1080 (or 0x0 if running on a 1920x1080 monitor/if you want full
> screen) with an X & Y offset of 0.

I seem to be upsetting all the gurus, but I /do/ have a reason. My video
card has two outputs.  My 'normal' settings give me a MythTV display in
a 1024x576+64+64 fixed-size-but-movable window-with-a-border on my KDE
desktop on the monitor.  The script above gives me a borderless
fullscreen dedicated MythTV display on my HD TV.  In both cases the
frontend logs go to the Konsole tab on the monitor, which usually has
several other Konsole tabs, Firefox, Thunderbird, Konqueror, K3b and VLC
either active or ready for action.

My initial intention was to have both Myth displays showing the same
thing but I don't remember that working.  Having them as alternatives is
generally OK.  I suppose I could define a new
MythTV-frontend-with-a-unique-identifier to feed the TV instead, but I
haven;t tried it.  I probably ought to implement an auto
one-or-the-other lockout, too.