[mythtv-users] Full screen

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 16:27:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:24:24PM -0400, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> > Greetings Mythizens, can anyone tell me how to utilize the full display
> > area of my screen? The Ubuntu information stripe on the very top is
> always
> > shown. I've gone into the front end screen wizard, but I can't adjust the
> > initial (top left) corner high enough to cover that stripe. I'm using
> > plasma display and would like to avoid "burn in" up there. I'm running
> > mythtv 0.25 front and back end in a Ubuntu 12.04 desktop environment.
>
>     Ditch the default desktop environment. Run one of the more minimalist
> window managers like openbox. Also shove pulse audio down a deep dark hole.

The depths to which you learned mythizens can discuss an issue never ceases
to amaze me. However I still have the that annoying black stripe at the
 top of the display. In my man cave I have a PC running Ubuntu 12.04/64 bit
with a 42" plasma monitor/TV. I lopen mythtv from the launcher when I'm not
doing other computing. I can display mythtv recordings on vlc without the
black stripe, but its awkward to find a particular recording among the many
in the file, and I forfeit the commercial skip feature. I'm looking for a
simple way to make the stripe go away when I watch recordings, like the way
the launcher hides when not being used. Does Legacy full screen support not
cooperate with a 64 bit OS? CompizConfig sounded like the kind of fix I was
looking for. Is there any idea why that didn't work? Or any other similarly
simple solution out there?

Daryl