[mythtv-users] Full screen

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Jul 1 11:27:58 UTC 2013

On 30/06/13 23:15, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 30/06/13 22:30, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 6/30/2013 5:01 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>> I mostly run the frontend in a window on my monitor, DISPLAY=:0.0
>>>
>>> This puts it onto the TV.  Fedora, 0.26-fixes, but it may still be
>>> usable.
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> # Run MythTV front end on display 1
>>> # For Panasonic TX-L32E5B HDMI1 via DVI-I adapter
>>> # This is for use if Overscan is OFF
>>> #
>>> # It seems that that requires _both_
>>> #  that the TV overscan is OFF
>>> #  and that the TV aspect ratio is set to [16:9]
>>> #  If aspect ratio is AUTO it seems that Overscan is ON
>>> #
>>> #
>>> export DISPLAY=:0.1
>>> mythfrontend --geometry 1920x1080+0+0
>>
>> Please do not do this. Run some sort of window manager. Mythbuntu
>> defaults to Xfce. Lighter ones are things like fluxbox, e16, evilwm, or
>> ratpoison. The lighter ones are only going to eat about a megabyte of
>> memory, and nearly no CPU. There's no reason not to run it, and there
>> are good reasons to run it.
>
> I'm not clear what's wrong.  I have kde on my monitor, running a
> desktop, and this shifts mythfrontend to the tv. The two screens are
> accessible at the same time.  I'd like a less clunky approach but in
> general it does what I want.  I can see that there would be problems if
> I had only the one screen, of course.

I'd like to pursue this a bit further.  My approach was based on stuff
found here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Running_MythTV_Dual_Headed

mainly the section headed:

Using a Console Monitor and an HDTV Set

although I have an alarming number of experimental versions of xorg.conf
that were tried along the way.

I'm not clear if Raymond didn't like the use of DISPLAY, or if it's the
--geometry setting, but it gives me a full HD native-pixel display on
the TV or a windowed display on the monitor, with a simple switch
between the two.  However, I don't use a remote and I haven't
experimented much with recent bells and whistles.  I could post my
current xorg.conf if there's any interest - and I would certainly like
to learn of any more MythTV-compliant alternatives.

John P