[mythtv-users] Terrible live TV experience with HD-PVR

Matt Goebel matt at goebelnet.com
Wed Jan 30 21:21:00 UTC 2013

I've been running MythTV with HD-PVR's for a few years now, MythTV ~ 8 years. When I first set them up in 0.22 or whatever the release was that official supported them things generally worked ok. Watching live TV was fairly stable. It was slow but changing channels very rarely resulted in either getting kicked out of playback, a frontend lockup, or a backend crash. Since ~late 0.24 or 0.25 all that changed. Channel changing rarely works correctly and most of the time I get kicked out of live TV 10-20 times before I can successfully watch another channel. Sometimes I get a frontend lockup, or worse a backend crash. Recordings have all worked perfectly fine throughout. I just recently upgraded to 0.26 which I was hoping would either fix or at least reduce these issues but if anything it's gotten slightly worse. My questions are:

Is my experience somehow unusual? I'm fairly confident from watching this list that it's not...
If you guys do have this working? If so what secret sauce did you do to get it stable?
How does a major regression of basic functionality like this go on for so long without being fixed? There could be some very valid reasons for it, and I don't want to insult any Myth dev's for their hard work, but I'd like to understand what the issues actually are.