[mythtv-users] CBR with HD-PVR?

Paul Check paul at thechecks.ca
Wed Jan 30 03:59:37 UTC 2013

Hi: It seems that I'm not getting constant bit rates out of my HD-PVR.  In
the mythtv-setup I have selected the max bit rate to be slightly below the
avg bit rate for all recoding profiles.  Also, After loading the hdpvr
module I am executing the command:

/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --verbose -d /dev/video0 --set-ctrl video_bitrate_mode=1

When I look at the settings using:

/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --all

I see the bit rate mode and the value (among other things):

video_bitrate_mode (menu)   : min=0 max=1 default=1 value=1 flags=update
video_bitrate (int)    : min=1000000 max=13500000 step=100000
default=6500000 value=13500000

Yet, when I analyze a recoding using mediainfo or bitrate viewer I don't
see constant bit rates.  For example, in bitrate viewer, the rates vary
all the way up to 18000000.

Any ideas?

I'd like to get CBR so as to use the "-mc 0 -noskip" options in mencoder
to get properly synced AV upon encoding/writing to blu-ray.

Regards, Paul