[mythtv-users] Lirc vs IR-Keytable

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 17:35:00 UTC 2013

When doing a recent re-install of my MythTV frontend, I ran into some
confusion because the IR remote handling had changed in the Mythbuntu 12.04
I was using.  The lirc configuration wasn't working for my Antec Veris
remote, and it took a while to figure out why.   What I found is that it
was using the new imon kernel module, rather than imon_lirc.   So, rather
than editing lirc config, I needed to edit the keytable mappings.

Based on that experience, I have a couple questions:

1. I ended up editing the /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/imon_mce file to adjust my
keymappings.   This worked, but is there a better/recommended way to adjust?

2. Most of my adjustments were changing system keys to MythTV recognized
keycodes, for example KEY_PAUSE to KEY_P.   If IR-Keytable is the standard
going forward, can MythTV be configured to understand standard media keys?
   This seems like a no brainer, and would allow much simpler setup.   Did
I miss an available setting?