[mythtv-users] Green boxes on one DVD's playback

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 19:06:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Picked up two series DVDs the other day. One played flawlessly on my
>> Mythbox. The other had these chunky green squares flashing on the
>> bottom right of the screen. Though I could eventually get to the menu,
>> the episodes were all scrambled up.
>>
>> This is the first time I've encountered an unwatchable DVD. Doesn't
>> appear scratched at all. Any ideas?

> Are you using VDPAU?  I recently encountered a DVD that showed the
> same issue.  The problem went away when I switched to an OpenGL
> playback method.  I saw it both inside and outside Mythtv.  I've
> submitted a bug report and sample to Nvidia but have not heard back.

Yes, using VDPAU. Bizarre though that it's the first time I've seen
this in just under two years. Is it just that the DVD's written
differently or something?

On a separate note: besides just testing them myself, is there
anything that will will benchmark a setup and say your best best for
this card is this playback profile and this deinterlacer?