[mythtv-users] HELP: a matter of permissions

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Thu Jan 24 17:04:50 UTC 2013

Thomas Mashos wrote:

> There isn't a default login name. Anything should be fine as long as you
> don't pick 'mythtv' (Which I think is protected from you doing that
> anyway).

I always create the user mythtv as a standard user before I install
mythtv and this is the user which runs the frontend in most cases.

I started doing this when I ran into problems with NFS. This way the
mythtv user always has the same UID on all my systems. Also, when I add
media files to the music or video folder, I don't need to care about
setting the permissions afterwards as they're already set correctly.

The only time I had a problem with this setup was, when X froze and I
had to kill the user session with pkill from another machine. I forgot
that the backend runs as the same user...