[mythtv-users] HD-PVR burn to blu-ray without transcode?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Jan 24 12:09:40 UTC 2013

On 23 Jan 2013, at 19:54, Paul Check wrote:

> Hi: I have an HD-PVR, working wonderfully in MythTV, Debian unstable.
> Myth produces .mpg files and I'm using Premiere Elements to process
> (including making menus, etc) and burn to blu-ray.  I'm wondering if Myth
> is recording the material in a format that could go directly to blu-ray
> without transcoding.

I do this quite often, not with HD-PVR material but with h264 off air recordings, BBC HD etc.

I use Toast on a Mac to make the blurays and set it to never re-encode, Toast just handles the TS files that myth records with no intermediate conversion unwrapping or re-wrapping required.

However I have found that only some bluray players will play the resulting disks with no problem, PS3 and most software players but various Sony and Panasonic bluray players that family and friends have find problems decoding the disks. The most common thing is to play the disk but with jerky motion and sometime sound dropping in and out.

So not useful as a universal archive format but might be adequate if you have a tolerant player and only want to keep some things for your player.

The recordings I have used were all h264 1080i with ac3 audio, I haven't tried h264 1080i with aac audio as I don't think this is an acceptable bluray format.

Andre