[mythtv-users] Recent DVD problems with video and audio drops

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 18:59:50 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Raymond Boettcher <
raymondboettcher at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just a thought. It seems to be waiting for video buffer space from the
> video card. It also seems that your using VDPAU with an NVidia card. Did
> you try switching your video playback profile to OpenGL or something other
> than VDPAU? If that works correctly then try using a different VDPAU
> Profile like Slim and see if that helps. Maybe your video card just isn't
> keeping up with decoding the video data causing the buffer to fill making
> the player wait which in turn makes the audio driver mad because the audio
> buffer is empty.

Both OpenGL and VDPAU shows the issue when playing the DVD.  The issue is
not seen while playing a .mkv made from the .iso (using makemkv).  The same
audio and video is used with no conversion or transcoding.  The problems
only occur when it's in the DVD format.

> Because decoding is offloaded to the video card, it can cause the GPU to
> get pretty hot. Make sure your video card cooler is working!!!! An
> overheating GPU may cause the GPU to slow down in order to protect the GPU
> Processor.

I'm using a GT 430 video card.  It will play back bluray and HD ATSC with
no issues what so ever.  It's only DVD's that have been an issue.

> VDPAU is awesome and I use it with a PCI-e 16x 8500 Series NVidia card
> without any issues at all. Also make sure you have the latest version of
> VDPAU installed and recompile MythTV of course after updating VDPAU.

I've tried both 2XX series and 3XX series nvidia drivers as well as
libvdpau 0.4.1 and 0.5.  No improvements in playback.

> Just food for thought.

I'm happy with any food at this point!