[mythtv-users] restricting mythpreviewgen?

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 16:47:57 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 01/22/2013 09:53 AM, Alex Williamson wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've setup a very cpu and memory constrained slave backend solely for
>> the purpose of connecting an hdpvr to the master backend.  I'm running
>> 0.25+fixes and it appears to be working well so far, until I hit the
>> recorded programs page in mythweb.  At that point something decides
>> it's a good mythpreviewgen target and farms out a few jobs to it.  Not
>> only do these jobs take a long time to complete on this slow box, but
>> they risk interfering with the backend process and causing an oom on
>> the slave.  I've already configured the slave to not run any metadata,
>> commercial detection, transcode, or user jobs.  How can I also block
>> mythpreviewgen jobs?  Eventually I expect to setup a slave backend
>> virtual machine on my desktop who's only job is to run those compute
>> intensive tasks and would like to direct all jobs, including
>> mythpreviewgen to it.  Is this possible?  Thanks,
>

> mythpreviewgen is run on the host that recorded a particular recording.
>
> That said, why do you need a separate backend for an HD-PVR?  Why not just
> hook it into your master backend, which seems to have sufficient resources
> for creating previews and running jobs on the HD-PVR recordings (so,
> presumably also for dumping data from the HD-PVR to disk)?

The master backend is a virtual machine on a rather modest file
server.  I haven't been thrilled with the reliability or impact on
overall system performance of using usb passthrough to connect the
hdpvr directly to the master, thus I'm trying to farm out the job to a
very low power, diskless slave.  Thanks,

Alex