[mythtv-users] Problem upgrading from 0.25fixes to 0.26

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 22 15:45:36 UTC 2013

On 01/22/2013 05:32 AM, Peter Foulkes wrote:
> From: "Michael T. Dean"
>
>> So, as I read it, you spent 3 to 4 days trying to figure out something
>> that could have "fixed itself" with a reboot?
>
>> GNU/Linux doesn't /have/ to be rebooted for most changes--as long as
>> you're willing to spend the time figuring out what's wrong, then
>> learning how to fix it--but sometimes 30s to reboot is the easiest way
>> to fix things.
>
> Accepted. It is my first call for all problems. Sadly, in this case it
> didn't cure the problem. Although the fact that it didn't probably
> indicates that there is something amiss in my setup somewhere.

That would imply that your system was starting mythfrontend before
starting either mythbackend (on the master backend) or mythtv-setup (on
any host).  (Only the master backend can upgrade the database, but
mythtv-setup can upgrade it on any host.)  And, the reason why
mythtv-setup couldn't get the lock to upgrade was because mythfrontend
was being continually restarted by some script (that wasn't looking at
mythfrontend's exit status) each time mythfrontend shut itself down with
a DB schema version error.  The most worrisome part is that your system
start scripts allowed this to happen, too...

Mike