[mythtv-users] (SOLVED) Mythfilldatabase returns incomplete schedule data (Patched)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 21 18:17:42 UTC 2013

On 01/20/2013 01:50 AM, Raymond Boettcher wrote:
> So they should redesign the code a little.  Make it do a full pull every 5 days and pull just tomorrow to refresh TBA, etc once a night.

As Raymond said, if you're doing a "small pull" (of just tomorrow), it's
as much server resource usage as doing a full pull of all 2 weeks of
data.  Since bandwidth isn't a problem for them, you might as well--as
long as you're pulling data--pull all 14 days of data and get the full
benefit of having the most-up-to-date listings data possible.  And,
Schedules Direct is paying for the listings data, TMS isn't trying to
get us to reduce bandwidth usage.  (As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be
surprised if Windows MCE and TiVo are pulling data in a similar
way--getting everything in a single pull--and possibly even using TMS
bandwidth (versus TMS giving Microsoft and TiVo a copy of their database).)

>    The 5th day will also count for the next day refresh since that data is included in the full pull still creating only 1 request for the night.  So it would run a little differently but still result in 1 request a night while conserving a little bandwidth.

Keeping a full 14 days of listings data (rather than letting that
dwindle down to just over a week) is actually very useful for scheduling
recordings on systems with insufficient tuners (i.e. most users'
systems).  Therefore, the default run mode for mythfilldatabase is to
pull tomorrow and +13.  Because this is actually more work for TMS than
if we pull only once, but get everything (all 14 days of listings), and
because getting all 14 days of listings gets all the updates (which is
even better for scheduling recordings on systems with insufficient
tuners), we actually recommend that users

The only reason --dd-grab-all is not the default for Schedules Direct
users is because users with underpowered systems (either backend or
database server systems) will encounter serious problems if they use
--dd-grab-all.  Therefore, users with sufficiently powerful systems
should use --dd-grab-all, and be happy that a) they have the best
listings data possible and b) they're actually using fewer resources to
get that great data than they would use with the default "works on
underpowered systems" configuration for Schedules Direct.

That said, there's a very good chance that your concern that the
built-in code for pulling data from Schedules Direct isn't good enough
will not be a concern for long--as some of us are pushing to remove all
of that code and use code created (and maintained) by a project
specifically for pulling listings data, XMLTV.

Mike